Hi - Announcing the NEW INDEX Tab !

The new INDEX Tab on the above Home menu bar replaces the old Archive and Label widgets. Now readers will find it easier to locate content on this Blog! Tell your friends if you find this new feature useful. Thank you for your support!

Tom-yam Hot-Pot

I was extremely busy for the past several weeks and had subsisted mainly on takeouts or 1-minute noodles and egg cooked in boiling water.

Today, I had to eat something nice. Really nice. And whenever that itch hits, and you are still way-behind-schedule, what do you do?

For me, I make a hot-pot !

A hot-pot is the simplest, quickest, easiest meal to cook when you are in a hurry.

For my hot-pot, I cut up a pack of boneless chicken thigh into bite-sized chunks, and throw them into a boiling pot of water into which I had put a large onion, quartered, 3 garlic cloves squashed, and 2-3 slices of old yellow ginger. Use enough water to produce good stock , yet not so much that your stock becomes too diluted and tasteless. For me 3 bowls are what I need.

Now, for the tasty bit: scoop 2 dollops of tom-yam paste into the boiling soup, add 2 tbl fish sauce, 2 tbl rice vinegar, 2 tbl brown sugar, 2 tbl Maggi's seasoning and about 1/2 ts salt, or to taste. Finally, for a hint of bitterness, I added one bitter gourd, sliced.

The hot-pot was ready in 10-minutes.

To spice up the meal, I stir-fried a pack of pig's liver, sliced thinly into bite-sized lengths in a hot wok. The secret to preparing hunger-inducing stir-fried liver that is cooked just right is to first marinade the thin slices in a concotion of your favorite sauces and a bit of sesame oil. I use oyster sauce (the no-MSG type), chilli sauce, sometimes hoisin sauce. If I have time I will crunch 1/2 ts black pepper andput it in the marinade.

Wait until the wok is smoking, then put in the liver and fry quickly, flipping it all the time.

Reduce the heat a bit to avoid burnt sauces and dish out the liver within 2 minutes. Otherwise the liver will be tough to chew from over-cooking.

Serve with freshly cooked jasmine rice.

Verdict: Wow! All-in-one hotpot, what could be easier and tastier?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails