Hi - Announcing the NEW INDEX Tab !

The new INDEX Tab on the above Home menu bar replaces the old Archive and Label widgets. Now readers will find it easier to locate content on this Blog! Tell your friends if you find this new feature useful. Thank you for your support!

Sous Vide Squid

I continued to experiment the sous vide method of cooking. Sous vide is both challenging and interesting. It opened my mind and eyes to the possibilities: imagine, the key to any successful food venture is consistency. Hainanese chicken poached to perfection, cooked consistently bird-after-bird to meet and satisfy diners' expectations, wow! Souv-Vide provides that key. Once I have perfected my Hainanese Chicken Rice I could start an on-line business catering lunch to office and factory workers. The possibilities are daunting!

OK, I'm done with day-dreaming, hahaha! Now to my notes on cooking squid by sous-vide.

Squid
As my Sous-Vide Magic heater has not arrived, I resorted to using my Spring stock pot.

Fill the stock pot nearly with 9 cups of water using the 500ml Pyrex measureing jug. That is, a total of 4.5 li water in the pot.

Set the heat on high. Meanwhile, prepare the squid. Cut and clean the squid, and score lightly on both sides with a sharp knife. Cut the squid into bite-sized slices, about 1" wide.

When the water starts to boil, turn off the heat, and immediately add 3 bowls cold water to bring the temperature down.

Prepare a bag pouch and steep squid in the hot water for 1 min. Remove immediately, cool under running water to stop the latent heat. Then put the squid in the hot pot again. Repate this 3 times. To maintain the temperature in the stock pot, turn on the heat for 15 sec, then turn off, about once every 30 min for the first 1 hour only. After that leave the squid to steep for another 7 hours. Finally remove the squid.

Comment
Why the 1:9 ratio? As I didn't have an appropriate thermometer - unless you think a medical thermometer, a fish-tank thrmometer, or an oven thrermometer is appropriate, hahaha - I resorted to using a seat-of-the-pant approach, rightly or wrongly, to get roughly a 65-70°C temperature. I would improvise, in fact, do anything to get this sous-vide excitment off my chest! *grin*)

How was the texture? I was pleasantly surprised - the squid turned out tender and not chewy! The texture was difficult to describe - certainly not soft or mushy but just right, titillating my taste buds. I would never get that kind of texture had I cooked the squid the way I always do: steep in a pot of simmering hot water for a few seconds, taking out the squid when the flesh turns opaque.

Update: 20-Apr-2011
The Sous-Vide Magic ("SVM") temperature controller finally arrived. I proceeded to test it out wqith my first experiment, using squid again. I love squid, it's so palatable and the texture never fails to statisfy my palate when it is cooked to just right!

Set up the SVM and boil about 2 li water in pan. Wait for the water to cool down, then put SVM temp controller to probe, the target temperature being in the range 65-70°C. Place 1 whole squid, cleaned and scored, and cut intop bite-sizes into the pot. Noted the water immediately lowered to about 63°C, and went down to 55 after 15 min. I turned on the heat briefly to get the temperature to over 60°C, and stopped when it read 64°C.

All in all the squid was left to steep for 30 min.

Comment
Squid tasted just a tiny tad tough, but still edible. The head was not cooked through because I had left it intact, without slcing it into two.

Yes, 60°C seems to be the limit, above which Harold McGee said the squid muscles would contract and toughen. I was afraid of possible bacteria poisoning, so I had used a higher "kiasu-kiasi" temperature of abOut 70°C, hahaha. In future I would use 60°C.

Flashback: my previous experiment steeping the squid in a stock pot succeeded probably because, rather fortuitously, the temperature was lowered more than I had thought using my "rough" method of adding 3 bowls water to the stock pot containing 9 bowls boiling water.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails