Hi - Announcing the NEW INDEX Tab !

The new INDEX Tab on the above Home menu bar replaces the old Archive and Label widgets. Now readers will find it easier to locate content on this Blog! Tell your friends if you find this new feature useful. Thank you for your support!

Lamb Shoulder: Roast or Stew

What about stewing or braising?
OK. Yesterday I bought 236g chilled lamb (butcher S$18 per kg - hind thigh meat) for S$4.25 to trial again. So far I have not been successful in cooking lamb that is soft, tender, buty at various times the lamb turned out chewy! Yes, my mutton biryani was excellent. But that was using the laborious chorya method. Stewing or braising did not give me what I looked for, until today!

Method:

Wash lamb with salt in cold water, and dry. Blanch in hot water to rid any blood or scum.

Slice some ginger pieces (about 1-inc). Boil a pot of water to the full with the ginger, after water has boiled wait 10 min, then put all the lamb in the hot water. Simmer for 3 hrs under a low flame. TEST: Using a fork, pierce the meat pieces. If the fork pieces the meat without resistence you're done. I decided however to add 2 large red onions and simmer for another 30-min. In retrospect I think the extra 30-min made the meat fall apart more easily, not always giving a good texture. I would have stiopped at 3 hrs cooking time, max. And taste test it always because not every peice of meat will turn out the same texture with the same cooking time.

Now what spices go well with the lamb stew? * grin * I didn't use any other spices than ginger - to rid the gamey smell - becuase I was trialing.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails