Hi - Announcing the NEW INDEX Tab !

The new INDEX Tab on the above Home menu bar replaces the old Archive and Label widgets. Now readers will find it easier to locate content on this Blog! Tell your friends if you find this new feature useful. Thank you for your support!

Quick Bites

For years I labored trying to find the right way to sharpen and hone a kitchen knife.

I bought steel rods, ceramic rods, whetstones, even a 2-wheel carbide grinding  device that was supposed to make knife-sharpening child's play!

No matter how I tried, my knife was not really sharp - sure, the honing and sharpening attempts made some difference. But my knife seemed positively blunt each time I went to the wet market and saw how the fish seller sliced his cleaver easily through a thick chunk of tuna.  His knife was sharp !

Finally, I came across a method advocated by an expert:

Hold the steel rod vertically, align your knife against the rod handle protector which is made with a 22.5% (for Western knives) and a 16% ( for Japanese knives) angle - depending on which part you align against - then draw the knife against the steel 4-5 times in one direction only.  Do the same on the other side of the blade.  Ensure you draw the knife in the same direction to give a sharp, even edge to the knife.

Use the steel rod to hone your knife, and a whetstone for sharpening your knife.  You only need to sharpen once a year, but you need to hone your knife regularly.

And how do you know the knife is sharp?

I use my thumb !

That was the method used by my dad when I watched him as a kid.  He would draw his thumb across the sharpened knife edge (caution: not along the edge or you will cut your thumb!) and his thumb would tell him when to stop sharpening!






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails