Hi - Announcing the NEW INDEX Tab !

The new INDEX Tab on the above Home menu bar replaces the old Archive and Label widgets. Now readers will find it easier to locate content on this Blog! Tell your friends if you find this new feature useful. Thank you for your support!

Real Satay Recipes

Add and I decided to oven-grill satay chicken using our satay spice mix again.

This time I marinaded the chicken thighs in the fridge for 36 hours to allow the spices to infuse into the meat. About 5 tbl spice mix was used for 6 thighs.

I decided to set the Rinnai oven at 150 deg C, using the top grill without fan. I thought that would make for a slow grilling process, maybe taking up to 2 hours or more. After all, previously I had used 200 deg C to roast a whole chicken, and that took 30 minutes.

Gosh, was I wrong !

Within 25 minutes, the enticing aroma of the grilling satay chicken wafted into the study lounge where I busy writing on my PC.

I went to check - and lo and behold ! - the skin already showed some burnt tips. I waited for 5 more minutes before I flipped over the chicken thighs to grill on the other side.

And you know what ? The nice aroma again started to waft into the room barely 15 minutes later.

There and then I decided to open the oven and inspect the chicken pieces closely. Hmmm. seemed browned enough, must be already cooked, perhaps over-done!

The oven clock showed a total of 48 minutes elapsed from the time I first put in the chicken to grill to the time I took them out.

Though the thighs seemed a tad over-done, the aroma was however really enticing !

Postscript: We are still getting used to our newly-installed Rinnai oven. The temperature set seemed higher in the Rinnai than the same temperature setting in our Bauknet oven previously. Could it be a case of poor QC or the fact that this oven was produced for Rinnai by an OEM in Italy ?


Thu 29-Jan-09

After feasting on LNY delicacies and snacks, I felt the urge for some BBQ meats.  Luckily I had marinaded 2-kg boneless chicken thighs during LNY's eve and today, after marinating for 72-hrs, the meats were ready for grilling.

This time I decided to grill at 100-deg C, so I set the oven to heat up at 200-deg C.  When the thermostat went off, I plonked in 1 single thigh (since I was alone at home) on a make-shift roaster rack, promptly turned down the thermostat to 100-deg C,  and grilled the meat.  The chicken thigh was placed skin-side up and after about 35 min -- when the skin looked dark brownish-black, I flipped the meat over to grill on the other side.  Two minutes more and the skin would have been burnt!

This time there was no perceptible aroma from the oven even after 60 min, so I turned up the temp to 125-deg C.  Within a minute the familiar aroma wafted into the kitchen, so I knew that was the right temperature.

Finally I shut off the oven after a total of 65 min had elapsed,  the last 3-5 min at 125-deg C, took out the meat, and left it on the rack to cool.

After the juices had settled within the meat (15 min), I sliced the thigh using a sharp chef knife, and was delighted to find the skin quite crisp, and the meat cooked just right !  hmmm, not over-done!

And the taste was -- heavenly.

So now after 3 trials, I believe I've derived the correct method of grilling the satay chicken thigh. 

In a nutshell, the right temp is: 100-deg C, 60-65 min.  You can vary around that setting. Yummy !

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails